Although child benefit is not taxable, in some cases, it does need to be declared on your tax returns.

Since 2013, the high income child benefit charge (HICBC) has clawed back some or all of the child benefits paid to those whereby the highest earner in the family has a total income of £50,000 or more. However, the person who needs to pay back the HICBC will not necessarily be the individual who received the child benefit.

For example, if you earn a £50,000 income, but you or your partner receives child benefits, you must declare this benefit to HMRC on your tax return. If you do not currently complete a self-assessment tax return, we highly recommend that you ask for one and then contact our team for support with completing and submitting your details.

Not only this, but HMRC will also look at your tax affairs for earlier years to check if you should have paid the HICBC during those periods. If any declarations have not been made, interest and penalties will be charged.